Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What This Mama is Cooking Tonight! Chili!


Okay, the snow has gotten to all of us and we need to fill our bellies with hot food to keep us warm through the long days of winter.Today,I decided to make chili.
Now when I was growing up chili was never made in my mama's house,my mama was not a fan of hot spicy foods, so chili was never served at out dinner table.
What a shame since I am such a fan of chili!
I cheat when I make chili cause this mama is sometimes just to busy to start from scratch, so today I went to Whole Foods and bought a pound of fresh ground beef and a jar of "Chili: All Natural Texas Two-Step Chili Mix" made by Cookwell and Company, a can of chili beans, a can of dice tomatoes,and an onion. I cooked the ground beef and onion, added the chili beans which are really just a mixture of kidney and black beans, the dice tomatoes(with the water drained) and the chili mixture. I let it simmer on the stove till it bubbled and then turned down the heat, I added some salt, garlic powder and ground pepper.
While the chili was cooking I made some "mini" corn breads,from the "Jiffy Mix" and within 20 minutes I had a complete dinner.
It smells and taste delicious! I am having a few friends over for dinner tonight and will serve the chili with tortilla chips, some shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream,along with a few bottles of red wine.Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment